Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
The WIEBGE acronym stands for Will I Ever Be Good Enough? and signifies level I certification in Dr. Karyl McBride’s five-step recovery model for treating adult children of narcissistic parents
Craig M. Traub
Clinical psychologist & Criminologist
I am a UK Chartered and HPCSA registered Clinical Psychologist & Criminologist. I am an individual adult psychotherapist. I qualified with a BSocSc (Psychology & Philosophy) in 2006 from the University of Cape Town (UCT), and a BAHons (Psychology) (cum laude) in 2007 from Stellenbosch University (SU). I obtained an MPhil (Criminal Justice) in 2009 from UCT, & an MA (Clinical Psychology & Community Counselling) in 2010 from SU. I completed my internship at Lentegeur & Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospitals in Cape Town. I completed my community service in the Department of Defence: South African Military Health Service (SAMHS), at the Heidelberg Military Sickbay in Gauteng. I then worked for Akeso: Specialised Psychiatric Clinics at Crescent Clinic, Randburg. Also, I have worked previously as a trauma & HIV/AIDS counsellor for the South African Police Service (SAPS) & the Department of Correctional Services at several South African prisons.
- Private Practice (Current)
- Akeso: Specialised Psychiatric Clinics | Crescent Clinic Randburg, Gauteng: Centre Of Psychotherapy Excellence (COPE): Dual Diagnosis Unit (DDU), General Psychiatric Unit, Young Adult Programme (YAP), Eating Disorder Unit (EDU), Dual Diagnosis Adolescent Programme (DAP)
- Department of Defence (DoD) | South African Military Health Service (SAMHS), Heidelberg Military Sickbay, Gauteng: Military psychologist for the entire East Rand for members and dependants
- Department of Health (DoH) | Lentegeur Psychiatric Hospital, Mitchell's Plain, Cape Town: Intellectual Disability Services (IDS), Therapeutic Unit, Forensic Units, Child & Family Unit (CFU), Daily Patient Unit (DPU), Out-Patients Department (OPD), Mitchell's Plain Community Health Centre (CHC)
- New Start: Voluntary Counselling & Testing (VCT) | HIV/AIDS Counselling, Cape Town: Pollsmoor Prison, Drakenstein Prison, and Community Out-Reach in underdeveloped / impoverished areas
- Milnerton Medi-Clinic | Community Intervention Centre (CIC): Trauma Counselling, Cape Town: South African Police Service (SAPS), Milnerton Medi-Clinic, Blaauwberg Netcare Hospital, and in personal residences
My Registrations / Certifications
- Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol): British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Certified Traumatic Stress Consultant (CTSC), New York, USA
- Board of Healthcare Funders of Southern Africa (BHF): 086 001 0486841
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA): PS 0117480
My Formal Qualifications
- Master of Arts (MA) in Clinical Psychology & Community Counselling Stellenbosch University (SU)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Criminal Justice University of Cape Town (UCT)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BAHons) in Psychology (cum laude) Stellenbosch University (SU)
- Bachelor of Social Science (BSocSc) in Philosophy & Psychology University of Cape Town (UCT)
- Sesay, A., & Traub, C. M. (2008). Audit of police oversight in central African countries: Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea-Bissau, and the Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe. Cape Town, South Africa: Centre of Criminology, University of Cape Town Press.
- Traub, C. M. (2014). The transcendent function in ecopsychology: Intra-psychic conflict resolution in wilderness therapy. European Journal of Ecopsychology, 5, 16-38.
- Traub, C. M., & Swartz, L. (2013). White clinical psychology trainees’ views on racial equity within programme selection in South Africa. Teaching in Higher Education, 18(8), 846-858. DOI:10.1080/13562517.2013.795939.
- Traub, C. M. (2009). Defending a diagnostic pariah: Validating the categorisation of Dissociative Identity Disorder. South African Journal of Psychology, 39(3), 347-356.
- Traub, C. M. (2014). Can you have too much of a good thing? Is compulsive over-eating a ‘real’ eating disorder? [Online Newsletter]. Retrieved from the Addictionology.co.za website: http://www.addictionology.co.za/
- Traub, C. M. (July 22, 2014). Cutting in adolescence. Retrieved from the Parenting Hub Online Magazine website: http://parentinghub.co.za/
- Traub, C. M. (2013). Do you remember? Retrieved from the South African Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse (SAMSOSA) website: http://www.samsosa.org/wp/
Newspaper(s) / Magazine(s) / Radio / Television
- Traub, C. M. (2014, December 10). Uploaded School Violence [Live Radio]. In I. Rappetti, Power Talk. Johannesburg, South Africa: Power FM (98.7).
- Traub, C. M. (2014, October 30). Conversations with Niki - Jess Foord, Rape Survivor [Live Radio]. In N. Seberini, Conversations with Niki. Johannesburg, South Africa: Radio Today 1484/5am (DSTV Audio Channel 869).
- Traub, C. M. (2014, October 22). Chicky Lamba Video - Psychological Analysis [Live Radio]. In S. M. Ravat, Radio Islam 101. Johannesburg, South Africa: Radio Islam International (RII).
- Traub, C. M. (2013, November 9). Criminology [Live Radio]. In J. Ali, Noorul Khair. Johannesburg, South Africa: Channel Islam International (CII) (DSTV Audio Channel 865).